Sunday, May 8, 2011

How Lucky Can You Be?


A reader, lets call him Mr. X, wrote in with this:

"My name is X. As soon as it is warm enough up here I start to commute. It was -7C on Tuesday and that was warm enough. Anyway, my neighbor is always shaking his head because of my bicycling, but it really paid off. He was dropping stuff off at a good will place and noticed an old 10 speed sitting there and picked it up for me. When I came home from work and saw this old bike on his walkway I thought, "Great a 1970's 10 speed, just what I need." Before I was off my bike he was calling me to see if I could find a home for this bike. Not wanting to hurt any feelings I said sure I will find a place. As I walked up to it I noticed it had quick release hubs. The front wheel was off the bike so I grabbed the top bar and lifted it up which made the shift levers about eye level and noticed the embossing. I started to realize this may not be just your average bike so I googled it and guess what. I think I have a 1971 Speciale Corsa. I am sending you some pictures and asking your help in dating it. I have the wheel in at the bike shop being trued and tired. You will notice that there is no chain. I was wondering if you knew how many links were used on these bikes."


I invite you to contribute by sending in photographs of your Cinelli bike, illustrations, personal stories, and articles about Cinelli bikes and components.

Thanks for stopping by.

I can be contacted at veronaman@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. I wish someone would ask me to find a home for a bike like that....I have a good home for it already prepared..!

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find and what great shape. You probably have lots of info from others already but here is one more. Just from the single photo it looks as if it has the 3-hole lugs which puts it at 67 0r newer. Check the top of the rear derailleur, there should be a date. If the derailleur has not been changed the date should be accurate within one or two years. My guess is around 1971. Polished greased, new regina chain and campy brake hoods and it should go on ebay for around $1500.00 to $2000.00. I think you should buy your neighbor a beer or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing.
    Great for reference as it seems untouched.

    What type of rims are those?

    ReplyDelete